Saturday, March 25, 2017

Camels

In one of my first blog entries before leaving for Morocco, I mentioned that I expected to see plenty of camels in Guelmim because of its location and its environment. I can say that when it comes to riding camels and seeing other people riding camels, I was disappointed. People ride cars, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles--not camels.

I did see a few small camel herds when traveling across the countryside, and on the evening of the last day I did visit the camel souk before the big sale the next morning. If not for transportation, what then are camels used for? Food! Camel meat is low in fat and quite tasty. It is best prepared slowly cooked in a traditional clay vessel known as a tajine together with vegetables. So in order to meet the expectations for a tourist to Morocco, I have the necessary camel photos. These guys are ready to be sold the next morning and will most likely be butchered on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment