Saturday, March 25, 2017

Quran Reading

At the women's festival I was treated to a recitation of the Holy Quran. This boy chanted/sang the scripture much like the plainsong chanting of a psalm in a traditional Christian church.

I later impressed people by asking whether this verse was from the fourth sura of the Quran. I knew that the fourth sura (chapter) deals with women. I also could tell that he was reading from an early part of the Quran since Arabic is read from back to front, right to left. The Quran has 114 suras, so fourth looked about right.

The verse that he read concerns how women should be treated well since Eve first came from the body of Adam. They are formed of one substance, one body. My host Ayoub is in the back of this video clip with the microphone. 

Quran Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment